Butterick 6385 – A coat for my sister


I promised my sister a long time ago that I would make her a winter coat. She  visited for a week at the end of last month and I was prepared – I bought the pattern at the GBSB live event in September and ordered the fabric online right after the event. It’s a wool tweed in denim blue, very soft and snuggly.

We had quite a few days out during her stay, so I only had 3 days to make this for her.

Day 1  – muslin and cutting fabric

Day 2 – fusing interfacing on all pieces and starting sewing. Fusing took soooooo looong, but the fabric was a bit too soft and flimsy, it ended up looking so much better with a light knit interfacing backing.

Day 3 – finished sewing everything, including all hand stitching very late in the day.

Day 4 – ok, some work has been done on the 4th day. All the basting thread had to be taken out, but I was out to #sewbrum so my sister had to do that.

On day 5 my sister was leaving early in the morning, we took  some few quick pictures at the airport. I entered this coat in the Wool Coat contest on Pattern Review. The pictures are not good enough for a competition entry but there was no way I could get some better ones before the deadline.


You can read the fitting/construction details over on Pattern Review.

I need a short break from sewing after the hectic #prsewingbee and making this coat in such a short time. I want to make a few pairs of jeans and some cosy sweatshirts, but I can’t get myself to start yet. I started a new knitting project and I’ll keep busy with that one for a while.


A plaid tailored jacket for PR Sewing Bee round 3

I’m still burnt out after making this in 9 days (mostly evenings), 2 of which were spent on fitting the pattern, but I wanted to share it because I’m extremely proud of it.

There are many details in my PR review so I won’t bore you with more text, even though I could probably write at least 2 lengthy posts about this week.

2 bound buttonholes – one of them is almost invisiblle

Perfectly matching pocket flap

Almost perfectly matching welt

I underlined the bias cut velvet collar with a piece of interfaced light cotton

Insides before lining

Inside out – satin silk lining from the cloth house sale – £4/m

aligned horizontal lines

aligned vertical lines

Could’ve done better on the back

I absolutely love it!

I hope I get through to the final round (will find out tomorrow) and the last challenge is a pair of trousers. I’ve had a gorgeous pair of Burda (again!) jeans on my list for 2 years. 😀

I will never be cold again – Old Romance and other knits

Old Romance was released in March and as soon as I saw it I wanted to make it. I bought the pattern, but as it usually happens, it got stuck in my knitting queue. Then at the end of July a Joji Fall knit along was announced and I decided to join. The cast on date was August 1st and we had 3 months to finish. That seamed reasonable and indeed I was able to finish on time.

Ignore the squinty  eyes here

I bought the yarn on eBay, it’s a lambswool/silk mix, a little scratchy but not too bad. I can wear this cardigan a whole day without any problem. And it was a bargain at £3/100g. I recently bought some merino from the same shop and it’s very soft and nice.

Following the knit along, I discovered/remembered a few techniques. The first one is one that I used before, but forgot about it – twin stitch short rows, aka shadow wraps – they are invisible. I always had little holes when I used the wrap and turn method.

Next one is Russian grafting technique – joining live stitches with a crochet hook. It’s not invisible like kitchener, it looks like a lovely braid.

And the last one is this extra stretchy, no flare bind off for ribbing, continental (Lori’s twisty bind off). I knit continental, but a different variation than Lori – it’s called Eastern uncrossed. In this variation some stitches sit differently on the needle, like they are twisted. Long story short, I didn’t used this bind off because I was to lazy to “translate” the method from standard continental to Eastern uncrossed, and using it as it was resulted in a very un-stretchy ribbing. But I would like to try it at some point.


And since I was in the knitting fever, I also made two hats – one for me and one for the boy.

no pattern – drops merino baby

Tweedy Dan

I finished knitting this sweater exactly one year after adding the pattern in my favorites on Ravlery on 27/03/2013. 🙂

I started working on it in December last year and after finishing the body and half the cuffs, I just let it sit for a while before I could bring myself to finish the simple stockinette sleeves and sew everything together.

I loved the pattern as soon as I saw it, and it was free at that time! I was a bit afraid of all that cabling, but somehow everything went so well, after a couple of repeats I didn’t need to look at the instructions anymore. I just made a note of all the rows where I needed to do increases, decreases,  center cable left/right, etc.

Some reviews on Ravelry say the pattern is confusing and it could be so if you’re an absolute beginner. I did find it confusing at times, but not so that I couldn’t improvise and trust my “advanced beginner” intuition to sort thing out. The cabling is pretty straight forward, what I thought it’s not clear is whether the increase/decrease rows are included in the repeats. I can live with the decision I made – to add the decrease in the 5th row.

UntitledI’m happy with the result, here’s my giraffe pose to prove it 😀