Phew, I almost didn’t make it! The plantain challenge was announced on the 8 and I knew I wanted to be in. I had the pattern downloaded and printed the day it was released and I was going to make it anyway.
The plan was to make a dress and a t-shirt with little keyholes and bows. I made the dress too, but it ended up being a night dress. The fabric I used was to flimsy.
But the bow idea worked out pretty well, if I may say so myself.
I cut size 40 from the bust down, grading to 36 towards the shoulders. This way I didn’t have to do my normal “petite” alteration.
Look at that perfectly top stitched neckline! The fabric helped me, it didn’t stretched much under the presser foot.
But it doesn’t hold a press for the life of it. I had to keep my iron pretty cool because the fabric was changing color under too much heat.
I sew it in less than 2 hours on my regular machine, pressing after each seam. Most of the stitches are straight, I only used a zigzag stitch for the neckline, but that is useless since the neckline is large enough and doesn’t stretch when I put the tshirt on.
Here’s an image of the nightie
The pattern is free so go and make yourself a lovely Plantain :). I’m definitely making another one with longer sleeves and elbow patches.